Welcome to my blog. . . .

I hope to bring new topics each week. Homes for sale, buyer information, seller tips, local statistics on the real estate market and more. Please email me if you have an idea that you would like covered.

Friday, August 27, 2010

"I want to buy a home. . . . how do I find a real estate agent?"

The question should be "how do I select an agent?". . . not "how do I find an agent?"  The fact of the matter is that you simply need to whisper the words "I want to buy a home" . . .and you will have agents climbing out of the woodwork saying they can help.  If you have never purchased a home (or didn't care for the agent you used before) I recommend that you ask friends or co-workers who have recently purchased a home, if they were satisfied with their home buying experience ask for their agent's contact information.  This is a good starting point but don't use an agent solely based on that referral. . . .you still need to do your homework.   You need to be sure the agent has the experience, resources, and knowledge to provide you the service that you expect and also, you need to evaluate that you will be able to get along with them.  I would never recommend that you hire an agent based on personality alone, but it will help if you get along with them.  Here are some questions you can ask to help in the evaluation.  You don't have to use them all. . .pick a few that you think are most important.

1. Are you a full time agent?  Real estate agents need to have current information about the market, financing considerations, changes in the law etc.   You can read my previous blog about this topic if you wonder how I really feel.
2. How long have you been in the real estate business?  I know when I first started in real estate, I hated that question.  I was taught to answer "oh it feels like I have been in it my whole life"  simply to avoid the real answer.  Surprisingly, that often worked. . . . but there really is no substitute for experience.
3. Are you a Realtor?  Many people refer to real estate brokers and salespeople as "Realtors" but only those who belong to the National Association of Realtors have the right to be called "Realtors".  This is important because member Realtors must observe a strict code of ethics.
4. Do you work for a large or small real estate company?  While there are definitely good agents at small real estate companies, there is no comparison with the, resources, and information that agents with larger companies have as additional support.
5. How will you communicate with me?  If you want to hear from your agent via email and text messages, and they don't know what that means. . .find someone else.
6. When are you available to show me homes?  Your schedule is important.  If you are only available to look and homes on Saturday mornings. . .then you need an agent who is available then too.
7. What multiple listing services are you a member of in the area?  In the Atlanta area there are 2 different services available and an agent needs to know which one is best in the different areas.
8. Are you willing to provide me with references?  If they say no. . .run.  If they say yes, ask for contact information for 2 or 3 of their "recent" clients. . .and call them!
9. Do you operate as a "team" or as an "individual"?  I personally like to work as an individual.  There have been times that I have had an assistant or Buyer's Agent work for me, but mostly I feel that if a client has asked me to be their agent. . .they want to work with me. . .not someone else.
10. Are you familiar with the price range, type of property, and locations of the home I want to buy? See #2 above about the importance of experience.

 You might also be wondering what happens if you make a mistake and find out that the agent you selected is not compatible with you or really doesn't have the expertise and resources that you want. . . . .

. . . . find someone else! 

Buying a home requires major decisions and financial commitments so you want to be sure you are getting excellent advise and that you are working with someone who treats you the way you deserve.

Let me know your thoughts!

David Arnold
REMAX Greater Atlanta
David@HomerunAtlanta.com
678-784-4354

No comments:

Post a Comment