Welcome to my blog. . . .

I hope to bring new topics each week. Homes for sale, buyer information, seller tips, local statistics on the real estate market and more. Please email me if you have an idea that you would like covered.

Friday, November 26, 2010

A house is a house is a house. . .but is it a home?

That's Shakespeare isn't it?  . . . . maybe not.  Thanksgiving celebration gives us all a time to ponder life. (A little deep huh?) OK, it made me consider the differences between a house and a home.  I am not proposing that all houses are created equally . . . . but neither are all homes.  A house consists of bricks, siding, wood, nails, glass, tile, hardware, wiring, plastic, shingles, sheetrock, screws, plumbing, and carpet all assembled in a specific way to end up with a "structure" where someone can live.  Differences in that structure can include the number of bedrooms and baths it has. . .if it is a ranch style, two story, or split level house. . . . does it have a basement, a garage or bonus room?  All of these details are "house" and none of them are "home".  

"Home" is what happens within a house. . .

. . . family functions, relationships, eating, playing, watching ball games on TV (had to throw that one in there) all convert a house to a home.    We enjoyed a day of Thanksgiving yesterday with friends and family.  I am in charge of the turkey and gravy and my wife Nancy is in charge of everything else. . . .planning, setup, food and clean up (woo hoo). . .before any of you "equal time" folks get riled up. . . I do other stuff around here too!  Everything came together this year very well.  Fun, food and conversation all fell into place.  A little frightening. . . but. . .  we even had a jam session of Rock Band (you can see the video below. . .but warning. . .it is not for the faint of heart)  Afterward I was thinking how lucky I am and what a wonderful family I have.  That is what I am truly thankful for. .  .and I get to enjoy it . . .in our HOME.


I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and that nobody got hurt if they went to the mall on Black Friday!

David






If you decide to watch. . .remember. . .I warned you!

No comments:

Post a Comment